Sunday, September 6, 2009

The resurrection of Buttertop

Back in July, I sadly poured four pounds of melted butter on myself and my laptop and I was rather stunned as to what just happened. I mean really who the hell does this? Butter, four pounds of liquid butter all over the laptop, half of my t-shirt and the floor and oh the floor... Sorry about the Levi! I rushed to remove the butter from the laptop preforming surgery on it first behind the kitchen and then in the break room. Alas it was all for not, all I had was a buttery covered laptop, and a t-shirt that smelled like movie theater popcorn. The lappy was dead,and I removed the parts to make sure they could one day be harvested for another laptop. Thankfully, Bodo, a former German Assistant Cook and now tech Guru turned the hard drive it into a external drive.All my music, movies, photos and even my Firefox bookmarks were saved and then I reformatted the drive and turned it into a extra back up drive.

Fast forward to this morning around 8:30, I am cleaning the trunk of my car looking for my heart rate monitor and I see Buttertop covered in junk and I hit the power button and guess what... It started again!

I was so happy, I put the hard drive back in and installed the newest version of Ubuntu 9.04 and everything went well as one can see. Woot 5%!
Look I am using the Internet, downloading updates, playing music and what not... Sadly the butter has gotten into the monitor too.
Looks like my monitor has spent some time eating fastfood while it was in the trunk.

 I can't stand having butter in the monitor so I took it apart not taking a break to eat or drink and I even put my father on speaker phone so I could continue working on this crazy project of mine. When I want to do something I get tunnel vision and can only focus on that project until it's finished or not...
 
Notice the parts of the monitor all over the coffee table. To be honest I should have just stopped,I should have just lived with it and enjoyed having my old lappy back but no I had to ruin it a second time.
                             
Buttertop sans monitor.

 
It's 11:51 the screens are clean, I used windex to clean off the butter and it worked pretty well for windex. At this time I thought I was in the home stretch the thought of two laptops just running wild in my head. Sadly that was not the case.

 
Around 1:30ish or so I realized that I am sure there are companies that sell LCD Monitors to people who break theirs and the whole "clean-the-butter-out-of-the-monitor" was moot. I found a good site but it can't give me a price and the prices I do find for a new monitor are anywhere between 89-150 dollars which I am not really going to spend on the buttertop as much as I would like to it's just an exercise in stupidity, like oh taking a cat on a walk.
                              
After eight hours of work on something that I shouldn't have even started in the first place I boxed the laptop and maybe someday I'll get back to good old Butterytop but I am not really sure when or really why I would. The hard drive still works and so does that sound card and everything else it just needs a working monitor.

No comments:

Post a Comment